What To Do First After Your Basement Floods
A basement flood can be an unsettling experience for a homeowner. Whether stormwater, a failed sump pump or a burst water pipe is the culprit, knowing what to do first can help in a stressful time.
Safety is the first concern. Consider the following precautions before entering the flooded area:
- Keeping children and animals away from the area will protect them from potential toxicities or other hazards.
- Deactivating your electricity before anyone touches the water is essential.
- Turning off your main water source is important if any pipes are broken.
- Wearing waterproof gloves, coveralls and boots can protect you from health hazards.
- Opening windows and using fans will begin drying out your basement and allow toxic gases to escape.
If your basement flood was caused by stormwater or you can’t access your electrical box, it is recommended you not attempt the cleanup yourself. Floodwater can be contaminated with sewage and other hazards, and calling a disaster remediation service is a good strategy.
Stopping the Source
With safety precautions in place, you can address the water source. If your sump pump failed, obtaining a new pump immediately can prevent further damage. If you are unsure what caused your flooded basement, you can check your home’s perimeter and remedy any drainage problems.
If you have only an inch or so of water, you can begin removing the water with a wet vacuum and taking wet items out of the basement to a drying area. If the water is deeper or if dumping the water will contribute to the problem, you may need to call for assistance.
Once the area is stable and ventilated, it is helpful to inform your insurance agent and discuss any coverage. If your water damage is considerable, it is recommended that you consult an emergency remediation service to help you assess the severity of your damage.
A basement flood in your Jamaica, NY, home can be distressing and you may not automatically know what to do. Staying calm and prioritizing safety are the primary focuses that can carry you through the cleanup and back to normalcy.